Monday, April 2, 2012

Picking Thread...

Anyone who quilts (or sews) knows that while a minute and tedious chore...picking thread is VERY important.  Usually the thread does not show, but sometimes if you press it very well the thread will show.  You have to ask yourself several questions in the process of picking the threaone is d...  I like to use taupe, tan, greys and whites for piecing, but for longarming it is a completely different thing. 

First I like to pick some threads that I like...usually based on the colors on the top of the quilt.  Sometimes I will choose two different threads one for the top and one for the bottom.  This usually creates a "whole cloth" quilt effect on the back, which I absolutely LOVE!!!  However, you have to spend a little more time getting the tension just right so that the bottom doesn't poke out on the top and vice versa. 

This morning I was picking threads for this quilt...




The threads are hard to see, but the one on the far left is black, green, orange and gold, the next one is black, the next one is red, green and gold, the next one is tan, brown and black the one on the far right is tan and the last one at the top is a shiny red, green gold and red.  I chose black because it is more traditional and this is a raffle quilt, so should appeal to the most people possible.

However, I really liked the tan...it would have really popped on the solid black backing. It would have created a 2 sided quilt as would the black, orange, green and yellow variagated thread, but they would not have looked as good on the front and that high of a contrast on the back doesn't appeal to some people. 

I is also very important pick threads based on their weight.  The thread on the top should be heavier/thicker than the one on the bottom...the weird thing is that the numbers are opposite.  60 wt is very fine (thin), the 40 wt is thicker.  So, I am using a 40wt black on the top and a 60 wt black on the back.  Sometimes the 60 wt can look a little "stingy" on the back of lighter colored backing fabrics, but with black on black it looks great!!! 

I am almost done with  it...post the finished quilt in a bit. : D.

So, I think it came out GREAT!!!  Check it out!!!





   

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so honor you for your expertise in this wonderful type of art and design. The quilt is beautiful and I did learn something I didn't know about the different weights of thread.

Karen P said...

Liz the quilt is just beautiful, as always. I love the colors! The detail that goes into quilting fascinates me.:-)

Kathy McHenry said...

And once again I've learned something from you. The back of the quilt is stunning with that design and your color choice.

Donna Gunter said...

Wow, amazing work once again! My mom hired someone to finish a quilt for me that my aunt had started but didn't finish before she passed away. The finished quilt felt like it had been put together with fishing line -- no kidding! If I were sitting on it or using it for cover, the thread would poke me. Unfortunately, that quilt is now packed away in a trunk solely because of the thread. :)

Brandi Kae said...

Your attention to detail is superb :-) Great work, Liz!

Lisa Birnesser said...

I had no idea that choosing thread was so important when quilting. I am learning so much from you. Thanks!