Sunday, February 26, 2012

Quilting Fellowship

I went yesterday to an "open sew" at the local library with my several of my guild friends...what a wonderful day of quilting fellowship. 

I can never seem to explain for my husband the desire to lug all my sewing stuff to the library to sew with my friends...  How do you explain the commeraderie, inspiration, energy, synergy and fellowship that comes from these types of quilting get togethers.  If you are in a quilting bee a guild you know what I am talking about.

I didn't take pictures but I should have.  One of my friends is working on an absolutely marvelous quilt for her son who recently retired from the marines.  It was completely hand embroidered and she is going to hand quilt it...puts me to shame - my husband is retiring soon and I am not planning anything that elaborate...but just to know that it is possible - is awesome and inspiring.

Another one of my friends is working on a hand appliqued Hawaiian quilt from Hawaii...she hasn't really appliqued anything before (a small wall hanging) and then she just jumps into a Hawaiian quilt...absolutely fearless!

Then there were my two friends who were working on mock wedding ring quilts one was blue and yellow the other was brown, orange, green and teal - they were both beautiful, but completely different.  Just to show you the endless possiblities of quilting. 

Of course a few of my friends were working on cutie quilts for kids - Brown Bear, Brown Bear by Eric Carle and some doggie fabric quilts/pillowcases...

We talked about quilting, cooking, kids/grandkids and everything in between - it was rejuvenating and refreshing.  I got up this morning and happily cleaned my house and made breakfast for my family...ready to tackle everything (gonna do my taxes later)....sometimes you HAVE to refill your cup. 

8 comments:

Kathy said...

There is nothing better that getting together with women friends. It's sounds like a very talented bunch. Can't wait to see pictures.

Donna Gunter said...

Hey Liz--

Sounds like all of you had a great time. Pics would be great! Have you heard of Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman? I've gotten hooked on her Food Network cooking show on Saturdays, and then started reading her blog. She inundates blog readers with photos, and it's a great way to "show" your readers what you're doing! :)

Donna Gunter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa Birnesser said...

The connection with your quilter friends must be something wonderful. This would definitely worth lugging your sewing gear out to meet them. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful craft and experience.

mary helen said...

WOW, what fun! Good for you to get that cup of creativity fulled up in such a friendship filled way!That will keep you in creative ideas for awhile!!

Brandi Kae said...

Hi Liz,

Sounds like a great time was had by all. I'd love to see pictures; but I can just imagine how beautiful all the quilts were.

Sue Painter said...

We all want that sense of community, and women excel at reaching out for it through crafting, I believe. Enjoyed reading how it uplifted you.
Sue

karen presecan said...

Sounds like lots of fun Liz:-) I enjoy photo talk with fellow photogs too!